The map represents an interactive resource containing information on 355 Marine Protected Areas (MPA) designated in the UK and Crown Dependency waters.
QUESTIONS THIS PRACTICE MAY HELP ANSWER:
- What data is available in the UK in relation to MPAs?
- Where are the MPAs located in the UK and Crown Dependency waters?
JNCC is responsible for identifying and providing conservation advice on MPAs in UK offshore waters. The tool represents an interactive resource developed by JNCC, containing Information on the MPAs.
ASPECTS / OBJECTIVES:
The mapper displays MPA boundaries in the UK and Crown Dependency waters, and protected feature information for sites within UK offshore waters. JNCC is responsible for identifying and providing conservation advice on MPAs in UK offshore waters (> 12 nautical miles from the coast).
JNCC is responsible for providing advice to the government regarding nature conservation in UK offshore waters. JNCC uses information regarding the offshore environment to underpin advice on the selection of protected areas, their conservation objectives and condition. Any information that JNCC or their partners have collected, as well as third-party information with permission to be shared, is provided in the mapper.
MAIN OUTPUTS / RESULTS:
- Communicates the scale of the UK MPA network and allows users to explore MPAs in UK and Crown Dependency waters;
- Presents the biological and geological evidence that underpins the designation of offshore MPAs, as well as the latest monitoring evidence applied to support the conservation advice;
- Provides downloads and web services and allows users to pull the information into their own mapping portals.
Although the MPA mapper only concerns MPAs within UK and Crown dependency waters, the model and method could potentially be applicable to other regions, where data is available.
Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC).