Project Implementation Period:
January 2017 - April 2018
Specific Funding Programme:
EASME/EMFF/2015/184.108.40.206 - Thematic Routes on Underwater Cultural Heritage.
About the Project:
The general objective of the UCRCA project is two-fold:
- to actively support the production of a family of competitive underwater cultural heritage tourism products preferably in rural European coastal and maritime destinations with the development of an initial ‘Underwater Cultural Route in Classical Antiquity’ and the investigation of expansion possibilities with follow-on products through uptake and streamlining of developed initial product;
- to support the protection and preservation of underwater cultural heritage in situ, by promoting the adoption of the UNESCO 2001 Convention in selected and follow-on sites.
Routes were developed over three sites:
- SITE 1: 3rd century AD, Trade shipwreck, several intact sarcophagi, 15 meters depth, location north of Sapientza island, Methoni, Peloponnese.
- SITE 2: 5th century BC, Largest trade shipwreck of early Classical Antiquity, more than four thousand amphorae and other artefacts over an area of 300 square meters, 22-33 meters depth, Peristera island, east of Alonissos island, Sporades, Thessaly
- SITE 3: 3rd century AD, The sarcophagi from the wreck of San Pietro in Bevágná (Taranto).
- Mazi travel Ltd (EL)
- Ministry of culture (IT)
- University of Calabria (IT)
- Atlantis Consulting SA (EL)
- Itinera Srl (IT)