Overall budget: €3,035,575.50
EU contribution: €2,580,239.20
TUNE UP is a multi-module project tackling the need for a strategic and collaborative approach to Med MPAs management and biodiversity protection, by testing and capitalizing a multi-stakeholder/multi-level governance tool based on River/Wetland Contracts experience tested by the INTERREG MED WETNET project.
TUNE UP will build on WETNET results exploiting the flexibility and feasibility of the River/Wetland Contract methodology further developing it to MPAs management, assessing its effectiveness through the implementation of 11 MPA Contracts.
TUNE UP approach is based on vertical and horizontal subsidiarity, to achieve coordination among institutions at all involved levels, as well as to integrate funding, resources and plans. Indeed, the project will ensure higher coordination among stakeholders and decision-makers, limiting raising conflicts between preservation and economic issues, and will enhance the goal of biodiversity protection.
Thus, the project intends to achieve the following results:
- Stronger, coordinated and proactive involvement of key stakeholders in MPAs management.
- Improved effectiveness of MPAs management by integrating multilevel governance tools into national and regional policy instruments.
- More intensive transnational cooperation and networking between Med MPAs.
The partnership involves different types of actors operating in MPAs management, so it will allow TUNE UP to ensure high transferability of main outputs to Med Countries.
- ANATOLIKI SA - Center for the development of human resources and the support of local economy, Lead partner (EL);
- Ambrakikos Gulf - Lefkada Management Agency (EL);
- FAMP - Andalusian Federation of Towns and Provinces (ES);
- SEO/BIRDLIFE - Spanish Ornithological Society (ES);
- MEDWET - Mediterranean Wetlands Initiative (FR);
- Tour du Valat Foundation (FR);
- MEDSEA - Mediterranean Sea and Coast Foundation (IT);
- University of Roma Tre - Department of architecture (IT);
- AQUAPROGRAM srl. (IT);
- Ministry of Tourism and Environment (AL);
- Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts (SI);
- University of Montenegro - Institute for marine biology (ME).