Developed with the support of the European Union, co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund through the Operational Programme of Territorial Cooperation Madeira-Azores-Canary Islands (POMAC 2014-2020).
Overall Budget: € 1.216.865,32
EU Contribution: € 1.034.352,52
PLASMAR will define and propose robust scientific methodologies in support of Maritime Spatial Planning and Blue growth taking in consideration the biogeographic characteristics of the Macaronesian Region and searching for a balance between the diverse maritime sectors and the conservation of the natural marine heritage.
The projects’ activities will focus on the coastal and marine waters of the Azores, Madeira and the Canary Islands, finalizing activities by the end of 2019.
General Objective of the Project:
Development of the methodologies and establishment of the basis for Maritime Spatial Planning (MSP) and facilitate implementation of the MSP Directive 2014/89/EU taking in consideration the biogeographic characteristics of the Macaronesian Region. The project will initiate the process of the MSP, applying robust scientific methodologies for the development of the maritime activities in balance with the marine environment, including pilot zoning exercise.
1) Develop and apply ecosystem approach methodology on Blue Growth sectorial development. Find the balance between maritime sector development and environmental planning, supporting socio-economic growth and ensuring environmental services.
2) Development of the Marine Data Infrastructure as a base of knowledge, data & information for the MSP process.
3) Finding the pertinent and robust monitoring methods for the marine environmental monitoring (in the scope of Marine Strategy Framework Directive 2008/56/EC (MSFD)) required for the MSP within the Macaronesian region. Action will include rotation and exchange of the experts within project partners, as (part of / well as) the development of capacity building modules.
- EcoAqua University Institute- University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC) – Promotor (ES)
- Regional Directorate of Maritime Affairs / Direção Regional dos Assuntos do Mar (DRAM) - Participating Entity (PT)
- Regional Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources / Secretaria Regional do Ambiente e dos Recursos Naturais (SRARN) - Participating Entity (PT)
- Regional Agency for the Development of Research, Technology and Innovation / Agência Regional para o Desenvolvimento da Investigação, Tecnologia e Inovação – Participating Entity (PT)
- GMR Canarias (Management of the Rural Environment of the Canary Islands) / Gestión del Medio Rural de Canarias, S.A.U. – Participating Entity (ES)
- General Directorate of Fisheries. Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries and Waters of the Government of the Canary Islands / Dirección General de Pesca. Consejería de Agricultura, Ganadería, Pesca y Aguas Gobierno de Canarias - Associated Entity (ES)
- STEEP School- Dublin Institute Of Technology, School of Transport Engineering, Environment and Planning - Associated Entity (IR)
- Regional Directorate of Fisheries / Direção Regional de Pescas - Associated Entity (PT)