Project Implementation Period:
January 2020 - December 2023
Specific Funding Programme:
European Union Horizon 2020 Programme under grant agreement No 862658
Overall budget: €6,723,843.50
EU contribution: €5,990,172.67
About the Project:
In Europe, aquaculture accounts for about 20% of fish production and directly employs some 85 000 people. EU aquaculture is renowned for its high quality, sustainability and consumer protection standards. Increasing the sector’s production and competitiveness is a priority.
The main goal of the NewTechAqua project is to expand and diversify European aquaculture production of finfish, molluscs and microalgae by developing and validating technologically-advanced, resilient and sustainable applications.
Researchers and partners from the NewTechAqua will test and develop new solutions to:
- Deliver solutions to improve fish and mollusc health and disease resistance: prediction models for specific diseases, kits for disease’ detection, new breeding programmes and new diets.
- Improve performance and quality of farmed fish and microalgae by developing innovative breeding programmes.
- Make the aquaculture sector more sustainable and circular through different rearing systems (RAS, biofloc technology, aquaponics) new diets using fish by-products, fish processing wastewaters and microalgae and low-fishmeal organic diets.
- Increase the efficiency of aquaculture production systems via real-time management systems, satellite systems, and recommendations.
- Support diversification of fish species by studying the reproductive cycle of emerging fish species (greater amberjack, meagre and Senegal sole) to re-create the best conditions for raising these new species in aquaculture production systems.
- Develop new eco-friendly fish and molluscs products with high nutritional value.
- Raise awareness and train professionals from the aquaculture sector by creating training programmes and conducting studies on consumers’ preferences.
- Alma Mater Studiorum - Universita Di Bologna – Lead partner (IT);
- Universita Ca' Foscari Venezia (IT);
- Institut De Recerca I Tecnologia Agroalimentaries (ES);
- Hellenic Centre For Marine Research (EL);
- Universita Degli Studi Di Bari Aldo Moro (IT);
- Nofima AS (NO);
- A.I.A. Agricola Italiana Alimentare S.P.A. (IT);
- Aquicultura Balear SA (ES);
- Cromaris Dionicko Drustvo Za Marikulturu (HR);
- Mowi Genetics AS (NO);
- Irida AE-Products for Animal Production-Services (EL);
- Rara Avis Biotec SL (ES);
- Aquanetix Limited (UK);
- Fédération Européenne des Producteurs Aquacoles Association (FR);
- Centre International de Hautes Etudes Agronomiques Méditerranéennes (FR);
- Il Vigneto Societa Agricola A Responsabilita Limitata (IT);
- Greenovate! Europe (BE);
- Institut Français de Recherche pour l'Exploitation de la Mer (FR);
- Syndicat Des Sélectionneurs Avicoles et Aquacoles Français (FR);
- Ichthyokalliergeies Argosaronikou Anonymi Etairia (EL);
- Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment of Cyprus (CY);
- Universidad De Las Palmas De Gran Canaria (ES);
- The Seafood Innovation Cluster AS (NO);
- Galaxidi Marine Farm AE (EL);
- Consiglio Nazionale Delle Ricerche (IT);
- Casali Roberto (IT).