Project Implementation Period:
January 2010 - January 2013
Specific Funding Programme:
FP7, Cooperation, Food, Agriculture and Fisheries, and Biotechnology (KBBE)
Overall Budget: € 866.823,00
EU Contribution: € 416.065,00
About the Project:
COEXIST was a broad, multidisciplinary project which evaluated competing activities and interactions in European coastal areas. The ultimate goal of the COEXIST project was to provide a roadmap for a better integration, sustainability and synergies across the diverse activities taking place in the European coastal zone.
A roadmap for integration of aquaculture and fisheries with other activities in the coastal zone is the central output of the project.
The ultimate project outcomes are:
- Characterisation of relevant European coastal marine ecosystems, their current utilisation and spatial management.
- Evaluation of spatial management tools for combining coastal fisheries, aquaculture and other uses, both now and in the future.
Expected impact of the project:
- To contribute to the maintenance and development of coastal fisheries and aquaculture
- To contribute to the knowledge based economy
- To provide a framework to assist with the resolution of the existing and future conflicts related to interactions between aquaculture, fisheries and other sectors
- To contribute to the formulation, implementation and assessment of the current EU policies and legislation
- To improve the management tools based in ecosystem approach
- To contribute to the sustainable development at local and regional levels and to the growth of aquaculture and fisheries sectors
- To improve the relationship and communication among stakeholders, scientist and civil society
- To support new knowledge transfer across Europe
- Institute of Marine Research (IMR) – Lead Partner (NO)
- The Game and Fisheries Research Institute (FI)
- Finnish Environment Institute (FI)
- Danmarks tekniske universitet (DK)
- Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute (DE)
- IMARES and LEI, part of Wageningen University and Research centre (NL)
- Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (UK)
- University College Cork (IR)
- AquaTT (IR)