European Union Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the grant agreement 815180
Overall budget: €4,984,622.50
EU contribution: €4,984,622.50
Tidal power – produced by the surge of ocean waters during the rise and fall of tides – is a major renewable energy source, but the technology is still in its infancy. The EU-funded ELEMENT project will develop a new tidal turbine control system (based on wind turbine technology) to optimise performance and cut the lifetime cost of energy by 17 %. This will make the EU tidal energy sector commercially viable. It will demonstrate a prototype system using onshore bench-testing, tow testing and in-sea deployment at two real tidal sites. A demonstration of subsea and floating devices will also be undertaken. The project will also seek to increase public awareness and support for tidal energy projects.
- Nova Innovation LTD - Coordinator (UK);
- Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult (UK);
- Chantier Bretagne Sud (FR);
- INNOSEA (FR);
- Wood Group France SAS (FR);
- NORTEK AS (NO);
- University of Strathclyde (UK);
- DNV GL UK LIMITED (UK);
- Agence Intercommunale de Developpement des arrondissements de Tournai d'Ath et de communes avoisinantes (BE);
- Association de Prefiguration de l’Institut d'excellence des Energies Decarbonees (IEED) France Energies Marines (FR);
- ABB LIMITED (UK).