EU contribution : € 2,238,776.44
The project aims at developing a network of diving routes in marine areas as a tool for protecting the marine environment, preserving and promoting the natural and cultural heritage, raising public awareness, promoting the sustainable development of tourism, especially diving, as well as enriching and diversifying the provided tourist services. The project foresees the demarcation of at least four protected areas with diving routes in Greece, in two of which artificial reefs will be dug in order to increase biodiversity. In Cyprus there will be diving of artificial reefs and statues in Dasoudi. With this project the tourist traffic in Cyprus and Greece should be boosted both in terms of numbers and revenue.
- Designation of eight areas as thematic tourist destinations (selection of sites for pilot actions using the suitability model);
- Field study and collection of primary elements for both the natural environment and the cultural reserve in the selected locations. Greece: Leros, Kalymnos, Lipsi, Rhodes, Naxos, Paros, Fournoi, Samos. Cyprus: Dasoudi, Amathouda.
- Region of South Aegean, (EL) Lead partner;
- South Aegean Development Agency - ENERGIAKI S.A, (EL);
- Municipality of Samos, (EL);
- Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment, (CY);
- Cyprus University, Oceanography Centre, (CY);
- Limassol Tourism Development and Promotion, (CY);
- Ministry of Transport Communication and Works, Department of Antiquities, (CY);
- Ministry of Culture and Sports, General Directorate of Antiquities and Cultural Heritage, Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities, (EL).