Overall Budget : € 2,700,780
ERDF: € 2,295,663
The project explores climate risks faced by coastal and transition areas, contributing to a better understanding of the impact of climate variability and change on water regimes, salt intrusion, tourism, biodiversity and agro-ecosystems affecting the cooperation area. The main goal is to provide decision makers and coastal communities with integrated, ecosystem-based and shared planning options for different problems related to climate change, together with adaptation measures for vulnerable areas.
Five paradigmatic pilot sites have been selected to take into account the different existing environments, threats and vulnerabilities of the coastal regions within the cooperation area. Each Pilot Site is solidly framed within the physical characterisation of climate change-driven modification of the Adriatic Sea basin, accounting for the interconnections set by processes acting over a larger scale, such as sea level rise, current circulation and cyclogenesis.
The approach, leading to the enhancing of adaptation capacity in the study area, is based on the following steps: 1) assessment of the present condition and recent trends in the pilot sites; 2) analysis of the main forces acting on the coastal system and their expected evolution in climate change scenarios; 3) development of adaptation measures aiming at enhancing the preparedness with respect to climate change impacts, and at increasing adaptation capacity throughout the whole cooperation area.
- National Research Council - Institute of Marine Sciences (CNR-ISMAR) (IT) - Lead partner;
- Emilia-Romagna Region - General Directorate for Territorial and Environmental Care (IT);
- Managing Body for Parks and Biodiversity - Po Delta (IT);
- Italian National institute for Environmental Protection and Research (IT);
- Autonomous Region of Friuli Venezia Giulia - Central Directorate for Environmental and Energy, Geological Survey (IT);
- Veneto Region - Soil Defence Directorate (IT);
- University of Zagreb Faculty of Geodesy (HR);
- Public Institution for the Management of Protected Natural Areas of Dubrovnik-Neretva County (HR);
- Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries (HR);
- Public Institution for coordination and development of Split-Dalmatia County - RERA SD (HR);
- Public Institution Vransko Lake Nature Park (HR).