This study evaluates the current and potential future trends of maritime sectors and related spatial demands, with consideration for a related analysis for a ”Blue Growth Scenario” in France, Italy, Malta and Spain.
Questions this practice may help answer:
- How are spatial demands defined in MSP for maritime sectors in the Western Mediterranean?
This report falls within the scope of the SIMWESTMED project, intended to support the implementation of the MSP Directive by Spain, France, Italy and Malta within their marine waters in the Western Mediterranean region, as well as to contribute to supporting cross-border cooperation between MS in relation to the implementation of the MSP Directive. The reports gives an overview of current and potential future trends of maritime sectors and related spatial demand.
Aspects / Objectives:
The aim of this report was to investigate current and potential future spatial demands of key maritime sectors and, when possible, reference cross-border aspects.
This study was developed through a literature review, led at the European level, focusing on the following maritime sectors:
- Marine aquaculture,
- Offshore Oil & Gas,
- Marine aggregates,
- Ports & Shipping,
- Submarine cables and pipelines,
- Marine renewable energies,
- Maritime tourism.
Main Outputs / Results:
The study generated a spatial demand analysis of current and future trends for the study area through a series of briefing notes on the previously mentioned maritime sectors. Each briefing note describes:
- General description - current situation of existing activity and recent trends
- Current policies across different levels, influencing development of the sector
- Organization, structure and representation of the sector
- The sector's point of view as drawn from existing literature
This study can be used as a methodological base for the development of spatial demand studies for other sea-basins.
Costs / Funding Source:
EC – DG Maritime Affairs and Fisheries (DG MARE) - EASME/EMFF/2015/184.108.40.206/02/SI2.7421013