The Offshore Coalition for Energy and Nature (OCEaN) working group on Marine/Maritime Spatial Planning (MSP) has recently finalised a document containing five key principles that Member States should integrate into their respective national MSP plans. The five messages arose as a result of collaborative discussions and mutual agreement among the OCEaN Members.
They are formulated as follows:
- MSPs should be planned holistically, at sea basin level and in collaboration across entire sea basins;
- They should be based on the long-term and consider cumulative impacts at basin level;
- MSPs must be based on best-practice methodology and apply the best available data, tools, knowledge and practices;
- They should be developed based on consultation processes and fair stakeholder engagement;
- Multiple use of marine areas should be considered as a tool to reconcile conflicting interests.
See the paper here.